Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Heartwarming Conversation with Mini: The Hedgehog

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been posting conversations with my 4 year old daughter Mini that have been somewhat horrifying. I'm sure I will continue to post them as she never ceases to surprise me.

Last weekend, for example, she woke me up at 6:00am by poking me repeatedly in the neck and whispering furiously: "Det up. DET UP NOW. Jesus is coming. HURRY UP MAMA, you know he only comes twice a month."

I have no idea what that even means. But Mini is the undisputed queen of being unintentionally hilarious.


She is also so adorable and awesome that I can't even stand it. YES, it's true that she sometimes wears me out by 8:00 am and  occasionally frequently says mortifying things. But she is also capable of enormous sweetness.

During the third week in April, like many of you I was overwhelmed with what I was seeing in the news. Bombs in Boston, devastation in Texas, precious Gavin Leong leaving his family behind, and closer to home - a house fire that left a wonderful local family homeless.  It just all seemed like too much.

At a certain point, I did a little crying about it. Mini did not understand why I was upset and I honestly had no words at that moment to explain my feelings to her. I said something like: "I heard about some things that made me sad. And when I'm sad, I cry."

She looked at me and nodded and scampered off. She came back a few minutes later and handed me a tiny toy hedgehog. "Here Mama. You love dis guy." Then she scampered off again. A few minutes later she was back, holding a piece of paper. "I drew dis for you. Because you love hedgehogs."

And she gave me this. And yes - it is ever so slightly horrifying. This is Mini we're talking about, after all. I can't even tell you what I would have thought it was (had she not informed me it was a picture of a hedgehog). See for yourself.


I stared at it for a moment and told her how much I LOVED IT WITH ALL MY HEART. I hugged and kissed her and thanked her for being so nice. Then we put the hedgehog next to the drawing, so we could see what a good job she did.


Kids are so awesome. They just are so, so wonderful. And Mini is so awesome. I love my hedgehog picture more than anything.

Her father saw it later that night, completely out of context, and was like: "??????"

I just said "Hedgehog" and he was like "Oh thank goodness." He may have been thinking about Father's Day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your kid has amazing drawings that you want to share with Mommyland, send it to me at Lydia.and.Kate@gmail.com

(c)Herding Turtles 2009 - 2013

Popular Posts